26 January 2013

It's Saturday Morning...

It's Saturday morning and what do I see?

I write to you in real time. Writing as I sit on my back porch in the “early” morning (8:30), yet life is in full swing here.

I see GRASS! Lots of grass, and plenty of it has been chopped by children with cutlasses (knives, basically) in the last few weeks. I see DK walking away from the younger boys, probably laughing at their antics. I see Benard (age 6) picking up sticks to try and light on fire. I see Gabriel trying to talk to Bismark through the window. I hear Gaga yelling across the grass at me. I see Theresa and DK walking up to me, Theresa asking if we can go unlock her classroom to get her homework. I see a group of children, I can’t quite make out who, washing their clothes by hand behind their house. I see faces that are thankful the water came back after being off all day yesterday. I see Daddy Joe, our house farther, sitting on the steps of the storage room overseeing everything. I see and hear Benard and Bismark playing in the grass yet fighting so that they have something to yell to me about… “Auntie Kathy, he is pressing my neck!” I see Gaga running toward me now that DK and Theresa have left. I see Moses, Gabriel, Amenyo, Bismark, and Benard trying to make a fire… Note that all of them are under the age of 8. I see John using a piece of wood as a whistle. I see the breeze blowing thel eaves on the trees… The breeze that we are so thankful for, as it keeps us “cool” even in the 100 degree heat. I see construgtion workers putting the ceiling on our new covered shelter area. I see Gabriel reflected in my computer screen, as he feels the need to come join the “party.” Now I see him dancing, even though he doesn’t think I can see him behind me. I see the Shai Hills to my right, even though the haze has prevented this in recent days. I can barely see the hills to my left, as the dust from the Sahara settles into our air. I see Gaga trying to recount the capturing of a rabbit recently, only to have Gabriel tell me it’s a mouse and not a rabbit. I hear Gabriel singing along with “Mighty to Save…” love it (“That song… Auntie Autumn’s song!” -Gabriel).I see a partially finished children’s home, waiting to house our older boys. I see red dirt scattered with different pieces of garbage that the wind hs blown astray from our large garbage pile. I see my house behind me, dirt stains on the outside walls and empty rooms waiting for guests to come. Oh Gabriel… My little dancer. I see the rabbit cages that house no more rabbits… Abbarently the  kids didn’t feed them over break and they died (sorry Anna!). Far off I see the basketball court, waiting to be covered by children by the afternoon (likely playing football instead of basketball). I see the soccer fields far off, the favorite thing of many of these children here. I finally see smoke from the fire the boys are trying to create, apparently to cook a mouse that they caught… In all of this, I see freedom. I see dreams. I see a vision from John and Stacy. I see opportunities for growth. I see the faces of beautiful, precious children. I see hope. But most of all, I see God and the way He has loved and blessed this place.
Gabriel: “Auntie Kathy, what time do you go to your house in America forever?” Oh how I hate that question…

No comments:

Post a Comment