25 October 2012

Pumpkin Spiced Frustration

This afternoon during lunch I typed in “pumpkin spice latter Starbucks DIY” because I wanted to know what special syrup you need in order to make your coffee taste like heaven here in Africa. Little did I know that I would find a HUGE number of articles reporting on a Pumpkin Spice Latte shortage in the US this Fall. One article had pictures from tweets that had gone up about it… “’Sorry, there’s an area wide shortage.’ #firstworldproblems.”

Just an hour before that, I was sitting in Autumn’s office saying “I don’t understand this [Ghanaian] culture that not only lets kids slip through the cracks, but pushes them in there… I don’t understand this culture that enslaves their children… I don’t understand this culture that punishes children for being different. I don’t understand a culture where critical thinking is basically nonexistent… And it’s not even that I don’t understand, it’s that it makes me mad…”

I honestly believe there are enough technology and resources  in this world to create a world [a whole world, not just a North American/European/Asian world] where children have a chance. No, I didn’t go do research on this, but I can look at a cityscape (or the front of a Starbucks) in Seattle or New York or San Francisco and believe that within these areas, there is money to create change. I also believe that without people to kickstart this change, any money is worthless. But there are ways to make it so that they don’t have to be put on fishing boats at the age of 7. There’s enough money to pay for these kids to eat and sleep. But instead, we are fretting because we can’t buy our damn Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

And that’s not to say I don’t love lattes. I crave coffee shops all the time here… Not coffee, though I love that too, but coffee shops. The atmosphere, the comfort, the familiarity, the conversation with Louise at Pleasant Blends over my pumpkin muffin and caramel vanilla latte. I miss all of that, and I am so much a culprit on this first-world-problems mindset. I even have first world problems in Africa… My power went out about 30 seconds ago and I want to throw my plate across the room. The menu button on my iPad is acting up and I just shake the stupid thing because I’m mad at it. I hate black eyes peas, and we eat them all the time. None of these things are life-or-death, meaning they’re about as silly as fretting over a shortage of Pumpkin Spice syrup.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made #firstworldproblems comments many times over the years… I still chuckle/cringe (depending on the day) over an e-mail from Tricia while I was here that said “I just want to say as a side note that these are first world problems...and you are the only person I have ever said that to where it has literal meaning!

But it’s true. Right now, I do feel the literal meaning of that statement. I can say it as a joke… But from here, I can also say it as a cry for open eyes.

A cry to realize that #thirdworldproblems aren’t a joke. A cry to realize that #thirdworldproblems means #thirdworldheartache. A cry to realize that sometimes, these heartaches are life or death. Sometimes, it means a child’s education. Sometimes, it means the future of a family. Sometimes, it’s a whole country in a despair they don’t even know is there.

So today, I’m mad at America and I’m mad at Ghana. I don’t want to bash on either of them… But I want to wrestle with them.

The whole time I’ve been here, I’ve been clinging to the line of the song Hosanna, “Break my heart for what breaks Yours… everything I am for you kingdom come. Show me how to love like You have loved me…”

Today, my heart feels plenty broken. Now I have to figure out where to go from here…

But in this, I encourage you to seek out ways to make change yourself. Seek out ways to give, both to the people around you and to people across the world. Find a way to provide for someone, whether it be financially, emotionally, spiritually, or physically. Find a way to other encourage people who are seeking out this change as well. Find a way to show someone life.

No comments:

Post a Comment