17 January 2012

Surprise! Your teacher is sick.

I am the fourth person on our trip who has had their teacher be unexpectedly gone one day. Today my students, a class of 12 fourth- and fifth-graders, went on a field trip to the California Academy of Sciences. I was quite surprised when another fourth grade teacher came up to me at our morning stretches and told me my teacher was going to be gone. We didn't have a substitute until we were walking out the door to get on the bus, and I spent a majority of the hour we were at school trying to take care of a girl who was missing a permission slip. But we still got to go on the field trip and it all ended up working out! It's quite intimidating to be put in a position where you are instantly shifting from a helper who's here for a month to someone who is responsible for a group of small children. Luckily we were going with another class and that teacher knew what was going on, but it was still a hectic and stressful morning. My teacher will be gone again tomorrow, she has the flu, so my stuffed-up self might be teaching a lot of tomorrow. Awesome.


I've slowly been getting better and I think I'm finally starting to get better, but I still feel pretty miserable and am blowing my nose all the time. We spent Monday afternoon lounging around at Golden Gate Park and it was glorious, minus the huge rip I found in my jeans that permitted me from doing much of anything! It was quite unfortunate. The elementary group + Caty + Cory made another sunset trip to the beach again tonight and though it was much windier (and therefore colder) today, it was still gorgeous and fun to spend quiet, quality time at the water together.


This weekend I am going to my roommate Devin's house in Napa about an hour away from here and I am so excited to get to spend time with her and a few other of our friends sightseeing and relaxing! I have been wanting to try and figure out how to get to see her house for a while now and this worked out perfectly.


It's really crazy to think that our last day in the school is a week from tomorrow. I adore these children (well, most of them) and it will be hard to pick up and leave. Although I do miss my kindergarteners like crazy! I have to try and figure out how to send pictures in an e-mail to them. I think that will be my goal for tonight...


Hope everyone in Washington is enjoying the snow :) My brother and sister had a snow day today... Totally weird to me as I walk outside in khakis and a shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment