13 January 2012

Six more school days!

So we leave in 13 days and only have six days left in the schools... Work hard, play hard :)

Our group has made two trips to see the San Francisco sunset over the ocean this week and it's been beautiful!

Last night a group of 10 of us went to NightLife at the California Academy of Sciences. It's an after hour half-price admission to the museum and it involved seeing penguins, so I was sold. But the CAS is neat because it has an indoor rainforest dome, a planetarium, and a bunch of other cool exhibits to check out. Caty and I went to peek at the "Living Roof," aka the roof of the facility with a wide variety of plants growing on it, and ended up listening to a man talk about constellations and the night sky... It was really interesting! They also had a telescope set up so we could see Jupiter.. Double win.

School is great and I'm becoming really attached to my kids. I've had many instances where my special ed training has come in great handy... I spent a lot of today trying to coax a kid back into class after he walked out when he didn't want to do work. It didn't help that there were a ton of adults involved and he's used to getting what he wants, but we  bonded over four-square and jump rope... Then he proceeded to spend a lot of the afternoon calling me a stupid teacher. But I've gotten much worse from kids before so I'll take it! But these kids really are great and I am loving getting to know them. We talked a lot in our group today about how transitioning back to extremely non-diverse Spokane is going to be really weird!

Most of us are renting bikes tomorrow and trekking around the city and over the Golden Gate bridge! It's also Siri's birthday so we're going to Mexican food somewhere. I've heard nothing but good things about the Mexican food here in the city so I'm real excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment