05 January 2012

Math Mode

Today I did a lot of MATH and it was the best! People who know me well know that often, I complain that I miss math... Give me an algebra worksheet and I will sit and do it for fun. Really. Math is totally satisfying and reinforcing to me, because there is a right answer and I know that I can find it. Well today I did a lot more multiplication, and though yesterday I said I never wanted to do another multiplication problem... I guess I slept that off. I spent the morning looking over the science unit we are starting next week (solids and mixtures... aka simple chemistry. Also my favorite!) and then read the chapter book that she is just starting with a small group for a literature circle. The main character in the book's name is Callie Vee, so I keep thinking of Callie G. and Callie B. back home! But then it was English time where I got to walk around and help students, and math. Math math math... I love it. And today was the first day where I really felt like I was interacting with all the students, not a few random ones from time to time. Because the class is so small, she doesn't do a lot of whole group lessons and sticks with smaller, more individualized groups. It's pretty neat to see that she is able to do that since the class size is only 12.

After lunch I did more math with a kid who is really bright but still seems to get confused when doing multiplication. We made a visual of it that seemed to help him a lot and I'm making one that he can keep tonight so we'll see if he starts to get the procedure down! But the best part of this time was that we did the math on the school roof! My classroom is on the top floor so we are able to walk out a door a the end of the hallway and walk right onto the roof! There was a picnic table out there and aside from the fact that the wind kept trying to take his papers from us, it was awesome! We all want to bottle up this gorgeous, sunny weather and take it home with us. This afternoon seriously felt like it was the beginning of finals week in Spokane! It's really hard to remember that it's only January and we will eventually be going home to cold and snow.

In about fifteen minutes, a few of the elementary teachers and I are headed down to meet Margo and Caty at Fisherman's Wharf! This is the moment I have been waiting for... Real time right by the water :) I love the ocean and water and swimming and, well, pretty much everything about big bodies of water. Minus the fact that it's saltwater, but I'll get over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment