17 November 2012

The Secret Life of an Introvert


I’ve always known I was an introvert. There are times when I definitely show extroverted qualities, and I do love being around people, but I am definitely someone who needs alone time in order to be able to function well.

This week, introvert-galore struck me. I saw down with Holly in my classroom just saying “I’m so tired of people… Just having them by.” And it’s not that I don’t love them. I just need space! And to add on to my introvert-ness, I know I’m also a homebody… I love to do things, but I also need my (slow, quiet) time at home. And though we are here all week, there’s not a ton of time to just relax around then house… There is always work to be done!

Our house is getting fuller and fuller… Emily moved into our room in the middle of October and since then, we have had three staff members move into another bedroom. This means more personality, more things going on, and just more people…

I’ve been going running as a means of both getting time by myself and of trying to raise my energy level. While this has been good for me, I am a horrible runner so it doesn’t last for long…

I have realized that the library is an awesome spot for me to camp away after-hours when I need a quiet space to sit and read or work. I don’t last super long over there because the school is dark and creepy outside and I don’t like being over there by myself, but still…

This weekend, Holly and Emily accompanied the YGAP group here from Australia to a beach for a few days. I chose to stay here, and was left with pretty much am empty house and two days to myself… I could not be happier.

It’s only noon on Saturday and I haven’t done much yet, but I am already feeling better. Excited to be able to say “no” to things (Stacy and Autumn and John, I hope that “Sparkle” is everything you wanted it to be!), excited to spend time with the kids, excited to run and play football, excited to check things off my to-do list, excited to have time to read and get into the Word and rest… Excited to just be!

So today I am thankful for space… for time… and for quiet! But just as thankful as I am for these things, I am also thankful for the people here… Both those that live here and those we see often. They are a huge blessing to me and I am thankful that God set up a community for me to transition into during my time here in this country!

PS- This afternoon brought my first African baking adventure (chocolate chip cookies!), and cleaning lessons from Paul... Success!






No comments:

Post a Comment