26 November 2012

Short and Sweet

When I was in San Francisco, I was trying to blog every day but there were days (weeks, even) when I was EXHAUSTED and needed to write a post in as few words as possible. Today, I’m going to see if I can sum up my last week…

Medical outreach. At a government school… Super crazy. Super intense. Awesome to deworm and do HIV testing for as many as we could. Hard to see lots of aches and pains that can’t be healed in a day. Made friends with a little girl in a purple dress… The cutest little girl ever!

Three day school week. SCORE!

THANKSGIVING. Tons of food. Tons of dancing. Lots of baking! Lots of extra people. Fun but chaotic. Yes, we ate American food. No, I didn’t really miss home. Watched football! American football! So thankful Houston FINALLY won the game.

Weekend. Accra trip. Pizza took forever. Worth it. Failed attempt at fixing our internet. Successful attempt at recovering my gmail account (including my blog). Rest.

Today. Stressed. Overwhelmed. Left my patience at home. Workout with Autumn, Holly, Emily, and Stacy. Awesome. Time to plan.

Always checking my e-mail. Always missing people. Also, usually content here.

Home in 20 days. AH!

I am still trying to process what it means to be “going home,” even though it is just for a month. I think it’s going to be really hard… But also, hopefully, really good. I am greatly looking forward to spending my first week of being home in Spokane with the people I love and coming home just in time for Christmas and a few more weeks back home. Wrapping the trip up with about 4 days in SoCal, I will then be headed back to Ghana for five more months (with a lot of chocolate, peanut butter, Trader Joes goodies, and dried fruit in my bags!!)! I can’t believe these first three months have already passed, yet at the same time, I can’t believe it’s only been three months… Great things are happening in this place, and I am thankful to be a part of it, even when it feels overwhelming and stressful at times (example A: me crying in my classroom after school today, overwhelmed at my inability to effectively organize. I really need to break that habit!).

Thankful for the little things, like leftover pumpkin pie and eye contact with the other adults over something hilarious a child is doing. Little things like Moses pretending to hide my water bottle, or Bismark telling me how to spell his name. Also, thankful for BIG things like best friends and God’s love! Happy Monday, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment