15 December 2012

Leaving


“Auntie Kathy, you will go today? I will cry.” “But I will come back! It’s ok!”

“Auntie Kathy, Auntie Holly go… She will not come back.”

“You get many Christmas’ in America. Why can’t you have one Christmas in Ghana?”

“I want you to come back BEFORE Christmas.”

Plenty of tears were shed on Thursday night as sweet Holly boarded a plane back to California. She has left big shoes to fill in this place… I am thankful for her, her heart, her friendship, and her courage in listening to the Lord’s call to stay in this place an extra three month… Packed for a week, came for 10 weeks, ended up staying six months. A true, pure exercise of FAITH.

The countdown is at less than 7 hours until take-off. It’s a little surreal at this point… Life in America has felt so far away for so long. I mourn at the news of a school shooting in Connecticut, and simultaneously mourn for the thousands of lives in Africa that will die of malaria today… Unnoticed and unannounced by the media. I mourn for the children who are still entrapped by the chains of modern day slavery, even though 36 sweet souls have been brought to this place, able to escape those ties forever…

When I come back, sweet Portia will be home with her forever family. They get here tomorrow… Everyone is so excited for them. Trying to sneak in as many last-minute kisses and soft whispers as I can while she is still in my arms… Losing both Portia and Holly in this place means a lot of beautiful energy sent off to work other places in this world.

I am excited to go “home”. I am nervous to go “home”. I am waiting to see where my heart will be at once I am 7,000 miles away from this place. Trying to hold on to this...

"11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Philipians 4:11-13

I leave today. Today! I still can’t grasp that.

No comments:

Post a Comment